Sunday, September 12, 2010

Vollunteering Sept 12, 2010

Woke up early about 4:25 and got up. Didn't want to miss volunteering today. I think that getting in the habit of volunteering so I do not stop doing it. Also, if i do it every Sunday, It will wake me up for football!

The Vikings lost already last Thursday in what was a poor outing. The game was very low scoring, but the Vikes didn't take advantage of all the opportunities. Oh well I hope they do well.

I arrived at about 5:32am in the parking lot. There were a lot of homeless people hanging out. It still is a bit intimidating when people come up to the car and tap on the window. I told them I am going to work and they leave me alone. Still have to watch my back as I walk up to the Mission.

So today a new person was in charge because Trevell went to The Crossing for something. Marcus was the name of the guy in charge, but he really didn't seem to have a direction for the volunteers. The So i started out helping Lorrie with the Forks. Lorrie was one of the ladies i met the first time i volunteered. Her friend Bev didn't make it this week. About 6:05 i asked him what we were doing and Marcus asked me if we usually went out in the dining area. We said yes so he put me on trays (handing them out). So i did that. Easy job but so busy today.

We served 189 people and some of them twice. Went fast and smooth even though we ran out of forks! hahah but they wrapped more. Also ran out of Coffee, but we got more of that too. The biggest set back to serving food is the sugar. You wouldn't think so but everyone seems to want sugar.. wait they want 2 or 3 scoops. Well that really holds up a food line and the cooks said they will be talking to Trevell when he gets back about it. It is really the only thing that holds the serving back.

One of the people tried to come through the line (ok a few of them) a few times and some of the cooks were getting upset about that. They can eat what they want but they have to let everyone else get food before they get seconds. This is only fair and some of them just don''t care or don't get it.

I really do enjoy helping out and may help out a bit more in the winter. They really need people but i heard that Thanksgiving is already booked. That is awesome and amazing.

Will have to see whats available going forward but may just mark every Sunday mornings as my day. I hope some of my friends will help out too, i wont ask them but if they volunteer ill definitely sign them up.

OK making it quick.. I'm off to watch football.

Want to write about the 4 Year Anniversary of my Guild on World of Warcraft.

No comments:

Post a Comment