Sunday, August 22, 2010

Denver Rescue Mission Volunteering 8.22.2010

Today I again volunteered down at the Denver Rescue Mission. Running on less then four hours of sleep, but had a great night before.

Saturday night got picked up by Mike and Jen and we rode together and were to meet a number of our other friends. Mike and Jen just got married last month, very good friends and I was very glad that they were willing to drive because I knew I was volunteering very early.

We left at about four and got there early had a great time and ate a crazy ton of crab legs at the buffet. Then went and lost 100 bucks on blackjack (grr i hate you blackjack) but at least i won about 70 bucks earlier playing roulette and craps. Let me tell ya some people just don't know etiquette, but ill get into that another time.

We left around 11:30 and got home around 12:45am. Knowing I had to get up at 4:30 I fed the kitty and washed up. Hopping in bed I was afraid I wouldn't wake up in time. Setting the alarm extra loud I feel asleep. Last thing I remember was listening to some movie i cannot remember now.

Woke up at 4:38 and honestly I could not feel my legs. After a few minutes I was ok, although i was scared I might fall asleep on the way there. The air was crisp and chilly perfect and very dark.

Upon arriving, I checked in and was immediately put on Pastries. Trevell is getting to know me and just told me what to do. I did the first tray and then he put me on coffee plus milk and sugar. I noticed that everything is never the exact same. I guess it is all dependent upon the supplies on hand. No milk last week, milk this week. Not only was there sugar, but a whole box of sweetener. Having to deal with coffee seems to be the busiest job there. Filling up cups, handing them out, giving sweetener or sugar, some people want 'creme' so adding milk. Making sure I have more coffee to hand out. I am supposed to hand the cups to the people as per the rules, but some of them just reach out, some even grab for the sugar right over me. It's kinda funny and I let them. It's not that I mind at all as they are welcome to however much and whatever they want.

I have to say, serving food is an adrenaline rush. I was super tired, yet didn't feel it once while i was working. It reminded me of staying up til 2 am back in high school and then having to open at Burger King. Being dead tired while doing the opening prep, but going full bore once breakfast rush started all the way to crashing once leaving after the shift is over. Back then I had the energy to do that and barely miss a beat (i did it a bit too much.) Now that I'm older, and I could barely drive home. Sleepy, but had a great feeling.

It is a interesting to me how well mannered and patient the people coming in for a meal are. They stand in line without any complaints, sometimes for quite a while if the meat is being cooked and not ready yet, or if someone takes extra long picking out a pastry (not to mention coffee being backed up). Clearly they are just thankful to be there

This time there were a few volunteers that came as a family. A girl Jen, her brother Ryan (i think) and their father was there helping out. Jen said they come a few times a month and like to help out. She wants to intern at the Denver Rescue Mission. That sounds pretty cool. Two of the three ladies that volunteered a few weeks ago were back, as they said they would be there every other Sunday. These ladies are older and very nice. The one that hands out trays asked why I was not in the kitchen. She said JT and I did such a great job last time, however I noticed this Sunday the food was flying out very fast. Also the guy doing the community service was there. He had a much brighter attitude of what hew as doing then the last week which was really cool.

After breakfast was served Trevell wheeled out a pan with ham in it. He yelled out to everyone that there was extra food and for people to take it all. I honestly thought that people would rush over to take as much as they could. I imagined a great mob piling over themselves trying to get the extras. Clearly i knew that would not be the case, but to me, it was curious that only a few people came up to get anything. It seemed as if they were satisfied just getting a meal and didn't want to take extra. I helped bus tables and turn chairs over. Then went to the side room and helped do more pastries. I must say i am getting to be a whiz and Trevell said I could do it whatever way I wanted as I was doing great.

Trevell called me by name a few times and said that he likes the Sunday team (I'm on a team yay!) He asked me when I would be around and I told him as often as I could. Previously he said he didn't want to over work me because he wanted me to come back and I told him I'll do whatever he needs done in the kitchen. Got a pat on the back for that and a big thanks. People are always thanking you there. Whether its just courtesy or something their boss asked them to do, it felt great. The people getting the food aren't told to do that and yet i still got a large number of thank yous and a few "God Bless You"s. Maybe that's why I wasn't tired, energized by good feelings.

Before I left Trevell came up and handed me a ticket to the Rockies game on Tuesday. He said someone donated 200 tickets and he wanted everyone to have one. This was really nice. The more I think about it the more I like helping out at the Denver Rescue Mission. It is clearly unlike a normal job because the only payment you get is the satisfaction of feeling amazing. There is no petty infighting between employees, everyone just appreciates you being there. I cannot tell you how good it feels to help people and they actually appreciate it. I cant wait to see what next week brings....

No comments:

Post a Comment